Do you struggle with what to post on social media? I mean really hair-pulling out, frustrating, paralyzing struggle?? To be honest, I don’t know anyone who doesn’t now and then! My clients certainly do, and…wait for it…I even do myself at times!
We have so much going on in life, in business; original, creative, attention-grabbing content can seem as remote as a sunny day in January, or a full night’s sleep.
Go on, raise your hand if this happens to you!? It’s nothing new; writer’s block is as old as writing itself, and with all the eyes and ears you reach instantaneously with a single, seemingly innocuous post nowadays, is it really any wonder we sometimes struggle?
Creating Content – Brain Fog Lifted
Today, I’m going to share three ideas to help push you through the brain fog of creating new, compelling social media content.
1. Get your motor running… It almost seems silly saying it, but try starting your day with exercise, meditation, journaling, etc. An intentional, focused morning routine very often gets those creative juices flowing much easier.
2. Give yourself the time and space to work. Create a sort of social media work-plan for the month, week, or even the day; setting aside a half hour in the morning or after lunch, or Friday afternoons to dedicate to dreaming up and crafting content. While you’re at it, turn off all notifications on your phone, and tune out social media while you’re working. Believe it or not, social media is a HUGE distraction, even when you’re trying to create social media content!
3. Go BIG! When you do sit down to it, motor running, phone safely stored out of sight in the refrigerator, try creating content for more than just today or tomorrow; craft enough content for two weeks in one sitting, noting any holidays, sales, special events, and specific marketing messages you want to promote. Create all the copy at once, and then go fishing around for images, or staking out and getting good photos.
And wait, there’s more…
Now that you’ve got your mind made up for success, and you’re totally charged to get down to it but you’re still at a loss for ideas… I got you!
Here are the Top 5 Social Media Post Topics I recommend.
1. Behind the scenes. One of the best ways to keep your audience engaged is to let them feel like they’re a part of the process. Show them how and where the magic happens!
2. Employee spotlight. Your team is your greatest asset. Sharing employee stories motivates and inspires your staff and your followers.
3. Quotes and/or tips that represent your industry or speak directly to your client/customer experience.
4. New product alert! New products, services, ideas, or inspirations always make great posts.
5. Before and after. Transformation. The subtle art of living is that we are constantly evolving, transforming, learning, and growing. Change is the only constant, and we can all relate to it, so share how you’re making old things new, better, re-imagined, and redefined.
Think about your business, your industry, your audience, your expertise, and run with it. My Top 5 is a great place to start, but there are no hard and fast rules to this, and your audience may be clamoring for a little something else. Tell me what that is, I’d love to hear about it!
Helping others with their social media strategy is what I love to do. If you are stuck and want to chat, brainstorm, or meditate on it together, send me a message, connect with me on social media, and let’s make it happen!
“Writing about a writer's block is better than not writing at all”
― Charles Bukowski